Gissele Gallardo Gonzales, Chief Information Security Officer of the Americas Region at NTT DATA EMEAL, Peru
By Sean Nolan
Women in GovTech Special Report 2021.
I am Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) of the Americas Region at NTT DATA EMEAL, which is a Global IT Service provider. NTT Data EMEAL collaborates with other NTT Group companies as one NTT jointly provides clients, communities, and people with end-to-end value propositions.
We are committed to supporting clients and communities to transform confidently into the digital future and to contribute to their long-term success with further coordinated global reach and local intimacy. The NTT Group has over 280,000 employees and offers its services in over 190 countries in the world.
As CISO of the Americas Region, I use my role to safeguard the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information systems, identities, and data assets by providing good practice security expertise and to advise on creating and maintaining a resilient and secure corporate infrastructure.
I also foster a culture of security awareness thus putting security by design principles at the forefront of corporate doing, and provide strategic and tactical direction for security strategy, policies and standards, as well as advise central and local business and management functions on security matters.
What was the most impactful project you worked on this year?
At the beginning of the year 2021, I was named CISO of the Americas Region at NTT DATA. I had to assume the following main responsibilities:
- Supervise activities related to information security in the Americas region, in accordance with the establishment of the global information security policy
- Notify the Global CISO in case there is a relevant security incident in the region
- Supports regional and local Top Management in cybersecurity issues and in strategic decision-making on the same topic
- Participate in the Global, Regional and Local Information Security Strategic and Tactical Plan
- In the event of any contingency or high impact incident, participate and guide the Regional Crisis Committee
- Support the Local CISO in case of contingency and cybersecurity problems of high impact
What is one unexpected learning from 2021?
Security and cyber resilience enables an organization to continue normal business operations without any interruption during and after disruptive events such as cyberattacks, deliberate attacks, accidents, naturally occurring threats or incidents, or technical failures. When done right, security and cyber resilience enables an organization to remain operational despite significant security and cyber disruptions.
Our resilience capacity has allowed us to continue operating with our same quality and added value for clients and the community. We have had very positive growth and profitability.
What’s your favourite memory from the past year?
We provided free cybersecurity and technology consulting services for healthcare institutions in multiple countries. I am proud of our culture and values.
What’s a tool or technique you’re excited to explore in 2022?
Due to the current situation of the pandemic and new style on remote work (any person, at any time, can make any place a workplace), part of our strategic and tactical security plan must include, reinforce our enterprise security architecture with new zero trust solutions to complement ours and awareness training & phishing simulation platform.
What are your priorities for 2022?
Strengthen the annual information security awareness program taking into account the new style of remote work, and attacks targeting human psychological vulnerabilities are increasing during the Covid-19 Crisis.
Who are the mentors and heroes that inspire you?
My dad has been a great example for me. Always persistent in his personal and professional goals, respecting his principles and values. He served his country in the Peruvian Intelligence Police, caught drug traffickers and international criminals.
My dad taught me to be independent, persistent, and committed. Likewise, he instilled in me values, principles and family unity (love of family).
What gets you up in the morning?
I have the following motivations:
- The love and support of my family: my children, husband and parents.
- Contribute my knowledge and continue learning from my colleagues globally
- Know that where I work they contribute to society and their culture and values are aligned with mine.